Saturday, June 1, 2013

Le Salon des Antiquaires et Galeristes-Tour Eiffel

Hello Dear Readers.  This is just a quick post as Le Salon des Antiquaires et Galeristes-Tour Eiffel closes tomorrow so if you are in Paris...check it out.  The fair is a bit small which makes it manageable and no one  could fault its location under the tents at the foot of the Eiffel Tower along the Seine.
The fair was under the tents at left    Photo: Aestheticus Rex
There was a broad mix of dealers from Paris and beyond selling Old Master and Contemporary paintings to all sorts of decorative arts and jewelry, definitely something for everyone.  In the booth of tableware and textile dealer Dans Le Beaux Draps I was tempted by every manner of embroidered linen and outmoded textile.  It truly is a lost art as we live our lives ever faster and simpler on a day-to-day basis.  I had a chuckle at seeing my nom-de-plume initials emblazoned on an elaborate 19th century tablecloth.
"Aestheticus Rex" table linen in the booth of Dans Le Beaux Drap    Photo: Aestheticus Rex
The mini period rooms and decorative pastiches always get me.  A good dealer will stop you in your tracks with their presentation as they only have a moment to draw you in.  This was the case with the booths of Galerie Pipat and dealer Patrick Martin.
Booth of Galerie Pipat    Photo: Aestheticus Rex
 I was most captivated by the empire painting of and officer.  While it wasn't the most youthful or dramatic rendering I have seen from this period the technical execution was superb, especially in the details of the gold embroidery on his jacket.
Booth of Patrick Martin taking pride of place at the entrance of the fair   Photo: Aestheticus Rex
Patrick Martin created a continental fantasy and I was most amused by the stag head wall-lights with their bulb embellished points.

At the end of the day, it was the call of modernity that won the focus of my attention.  In the booth of contemporary art and design dealer Ludovic Le Floch I found my prize tucked away on a console table.
Booth of design dealer Ludovic Le Floch   Photo: Aestheticus Rex
"Clockwork Skull" at Ludovic Le Floch   Photo: Aestheticus Rex
"Centimes Skull" at Ludovic Le Floch    Photo: Aestheticus Rex
The skulls are masterfully crafted from the innocuous components of our daily lives yet they are themes that rule our mortal days...time and money.  I am a big fan of a clever memento mori and these were stark in their modernity.  Regrettably, I mislaid the card with the artist's details, but I remember that they were priced at €6500 each.  With a heavy heart I had to leave them with the venerable Mr. La Floch.  They immediately reminded me of the coin furniture by Johnny Swing, delicate and lacy yet durable with an edge.  Until next time--AR
Johnny Swing "Half-Dollar /Butterfly Chair"   Image via JohnnySwing.com

No comments:

Post a Comment