Friday, November 25, 2011

Templeton Crocker Redux

I must say, every auction season is always a gamble which adds the excitement and allure. One never knows what will surface and what prices will be achieved. In my previous post I highlighted the Jean Dunand panels at Christie's from the Templeton Crocker residence in San Francisco. Well, Phillips has a Jean-Michel Frank chair from the same commission.... this time from Mr. Crocker's personal study.
Image via Phillips
Image via Phillips
The chair itself, like the walls of the study, is embellished with straw marquetry, a particular Frank favorite. This marquetry has a shimmery effect not unlike satinwood, but is very delicate to say the least .
Image via Phillips
The marquetry here is regularly set in planks. I think it is best utilized at angles in sunburst effects as seen in a detail from the cover of Putnam's 1980 book on the artist.
The chair is priced at $90,000-110,000 which is a fairly odd increment and immediately makes me think that it is likely aggressive. That said, it is from a rare commission and according to the provenance it has not been on the market since Delorenzo Gallery sold it to a Connecticut collector in 1977. We will have to wait until December to see where it goes....AR.

4 comments:

  1. A handsome chair and a handsome study. There are plain surfaces, but the luxury is in the inlay, a subtle effect of quality. I think I prefer the linear inlay. Especially for the whole room, the sunburst inlay would be dizzying ad overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Aestheticus, I once had the pleasure of visiting the Bischoffsheim/Noailles house in Paris, when it was empty, somes years before Baccarat took it over. The small study there, just off the fabled parchment salon, is lined entirely with straw marquetry by Frank and Chanaux. Extraordinary little space, octagonal as I recall. The Aesthete

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been several times and never noticed, thanks for the tip.--AR

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delicious, I adore you decorating and architectural sleuthing, as it is most enightening and intriguing. Reggie

    ReplyDelete